Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Atkins Poet Places Third in Poetry Slam


This comes to us from Scott Plaster at Atkins:

"My hands start to shake, I can't breathe right, and my heart pounds out of my chest," said Atkins junior Marrianna Flores. "But no matter how much my hands shake, my lungs give up, or my heart pounds due to fear, I push myself to do what scares me the most:  perform." And perform, she did—and not just perform, but she proved for the second time to be one of the best high school slam poets in the region.

Adding to her long list of poetry accomplishments, Flores repeated her third-place finish in the annual Poetry Slam held at Forsyth Tech Community College on Thursday. Performing three poems, her "R.A.C.E (Who Am I?)" was the highest scoring poem of the event from the 15 poets in attendance, earning a 29.9 total score and riveting the packed crowd.

Also performing extremely well was freshman Jessica Solomon, who barely missed making the final round after delivering "Woman" and "You," both powerful and well received.
"Your poems were beautiful," Elliot Miley told her after the event.

To read the rest of the story, go to Atkins School News

No comments:

Post a Comment