Thursday, June 19, 2014

Meet Tasha Hayes

Tasha Hayes
Tasha Hayes, who graduated from Mount Tabor High School in 1990, is the Exceptional Children's Case Manager at Carter High School.

”I graduated from Winston-Salem State University in May 1995 and started my first job at what was then South Park High School in August 1995,” Hayes said. “This fall will be my 20th year at the same school. (Even though there have been three other name changes  since South Park and a location change, I have worked with the same population for going on 20 years.)”

“Special education was not my first college major,” Hayes said. “It sort of came about after reading an article in one of those education publications. I'm glad I switched from elementary education to special education because the population of students I serve is AWESOME!!!!”

Hayes started school at Latham Elementary School. She then went to Rural Hall Elementary and finished at South Fork Elementary. While she was a student at Lowrance Intermediate School, the school system changed from the 4-2-2-2-2 organization plan to the current 6-3-3 organization plan.

“I should have followed my cousins to junior high but, with the format change, I went to middle school next,” Hayes said.

That was Paisley Middle School. Then it was on to Mount Tabor.

“I was shy entering into high school, so I tried sports,” Hayes said.

Tasha Hayes in the ninth grade
She played basketball for four years. She also played volleyball and was on the track team for some of those years.

“I met my life-long friends in high school and, though the miles separate some of us, we're only a phone call or short drive away,” Hayes said. “Also, it was during my high school years that the idea of becoming a teacher or social worker crossed my mind as a way to give back and honor some of the great teachers and guidance counselors I had along the way from elementary to high school who helped me make good decisions.

Hayes enjoys working for the school system. “I like being a part of a group of people, which I work with on a daily or weekly basis, who care about the education of all students regardless of their needs and abilities,” she said.







No comments:

Post a Comment