Thursday, June 5, 2014

Meet Keith Shields, Rebecca Gregory and Jan Morgan

Keith Shields

JUNE 5, 2014 - Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools is celebrating the 50thanniversary of the consolidation of the city and county school systems. As part of that, we’re recognizing people who are a product of the school system who now work for the school system.

Keith Shields, who graduated from Parkland High School in 1984, is the transportation supervisor for the Transportation Department’s South Corridor.  He also attended Sedge Garden, Brunson, Philo and Hill.

“I came to work for the system in 1997, but worked as an athletic coach for over 25 years until retiring from coaching last year. I recently moved over to Transportation after several years working in the Transition Office of Exceptional Children.

“I am thankful for attending school in Winston-Salem with a diverse group of people that prepared me for working with folks from all backgrounds and cultures.”

Rebecca Gregory



Rebecca Gregory, who teaches second grade at Kimmel Farm Elementary School, graduated from Reynolds High School 1999. She also attended Sherwood Forest and Cook.

“I had a wonderful experience at all three schools,” Gregory said. “My first-grade teachers, Mrs. Cox and Mrs. Queen, are the ones who inspired me, at the ripe old age of 7, to become a teacher. Not only were they amazing educators, they loved and cared for children in a way I'll always remember. “

After working in the Rowan Salisbury school system for 7 years, Gregory came to Kimmel Farm this year.

“I love the idea of teaching in a system that I grew up in,” Gregory said. “I love the idea of having my children attend school in the same system I grew up in. WS/FCS is a wonderful place to call home, and I look forward to working for WS/FCS for many years to come.”

Jan Morgan


Jan Morgan, who is the Home/School Coordinator at Old Town Elementary School, graduated from North Forsyth High School in 1972. She also attended Lewisville, Old Richmond, Old Town, Brunson and Wiley.

“I had very positive experiences here,” Morgan said. “I enjoyed school. School was a very happy environment for me.”

She still remembers the names of all of her elementary school teachers and principals. After teaching at Meredith College and ESL classes for the Wake County Public School System, Morgan returned to Winston-Salem in 2012 and started working at Old Town. "I was delighted to find the auditorium at Old Town exactly as I remember it from my fourth and fifth grade years here," she said. 

If you graduated from high school here and now work for the school system, we’re inviting you to send us photo of you, if possible, holding your yearbook or diploma or wearing your letter jacket (if you can still fit in it). Anything else that connects you to those days works just fine, too. And, if you have a picture of one of your classes in elementary school, by all means, send that, too. 

Be sure to let us know when you graduated from what high school and what your job title is these days. 




No comments:

Post a Comment