Thursday, June 12, 2014

Meet Michelle Lewis, Cynthia Lain and Johnny Duckett

JUNE 12, 2014 Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools is celebrating the 50th anniversary of the consolidation of the city and county school systems. As part of that, we’re recognizing people who are a product of the school system who now work for the school system.

Michelle Lewis

Michelle Lewis, who is a Pre-K teacher at Cash Elementary School, graduated from East Forsyth High School in 1992. She was also a student at Cash and did her student teaching there.

Lewis started school Cash in 1979 and went on to Ashley Middle School.

“I am proud to say that I am a product of WS/FCS!” 

As part of her student teaching when Lewis was at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, she worked with a student who was deaf. After she graduated from UNCG, she was hired by the school system to teach deaf students.

“I traveled all over the county as an itinerant hearing-impaired teacher for four years. Then a resource class opened up at Cash Elementary and I taught deaf students there for four years. I earned my National Board Certification and was Cash's Teacher of the Year in 2004, and one of the 10 finalists for Teacher of the Year in the county. 

“When I was expecting my son, I was able to stay home with him for five years, worked on my master’s degree in Elementary Education. I began long term subbing...you guessed it, at Cash.”

When a special-needs pre-kindergarten class position opened up at Cash, she took it. She recently completed renewing her National Board Certification and received her Birth to Kindergarten add-on certification.

“I have a love for teaching all students, particularly those with special needs, and I understand the importance of life-long learning. I want to ignite that curiosity for learning in all of my students!

“My son is a student at Cash, as well, continuing the tradition of receiving a quality education in Forsyth County Schools!”

Cynthia Lain

Cynthia Lain graduated from Gray High School in 1965, the last year it was open. After that, the building was turned over to what is now the University of North Carolina School of the Arts.

One day in 1970, she bumped into Nelson Jessup, who had been her Algebra II teacher in high school. Jessup had become a purchasing agent for the school system and wondered whether she might be interested in coming to work for the school system. Lain began taking care of purchase orders in the school system’s Central Office on Granville Drive. 

She held several other jobs over the years. When she retired in 2003, she was working in student records. She stayed retired for six months, returned to student records part-time in 2004 and has been here ever since.

Lain started school at Central Elementary School. “I was raised Moravian. Central Elementary was in Old Salem and that was so special to me,” Lain said.

She went on to what was then Konnoak Junior High School. Later, it became Philo Junior High. “I just loved school,” Lain said. 

Johnny Duckett


Johnny Duckett graduated from North Forsyth in 1977. Although Duckett is not an official employee of the school system, he will be familiar to those who watch the school system’s television station ­ Cable 2 – as the host of Cool Readers, the Cable 2 show that gives students a chance to talk about books they love.

Duckett went to Lowrance when it was an elementary school. He went on to Northwest, Hanes and North Forsyth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment