Monday, June 16, 2014

Meet Johnetta Huntley

JUNE 16, 2014 – Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools is celebrating the 50th anniversary of the consolidation of the city and county school systems. As part of that, we’re recognizing people who are a product of the school system who now work for the school system.

Johnetta Huntley graduated from Atkins High School in 1969. At Atkins, her last name was Moore, and, a "Letter Girl," she wore the letter “T” in the letter sweaters spelled out “ATKINS.”



Huntley started working in education elsewhere and joined the school system in 1977 at Forest Park Elementary School. Over the years, she worked as a school counselor at several schools. At John F. Kennedy High School, she was a counselor and the first Career Technical Education (CTE) Coordinator.

She retired from Kennedy in May 2013. This year, she has been working with the school system on temporary assignment to such schools as Carver High School and Kernersville Middle School.

Here is what Huntley sent in:

“Call it junior high or middle school, it is still one of the most wonderful, impossible and inspiring places in the world!

Johnetta Huntley
“Much of my inspiration toward entering the field of education began as a 7-9 grader at East Winston Junior High School, now John F. Kennedy High School.  I remember with excitement my first day – Sept 3, 1963.  As I walked up the long sidewalk toward the front doors, I met my first jr. high friend.  In perfect timing, she walking from one direction and I another, locked in step.  We have ‘walked together’ since then and are dear friends today.

“This school, although quite large, didn't seem overwhelming.  It was state of the art, a new design.  Changing classes was fun.  Core subjects had their own halls as did electives.  Teachers brought a level of excitement to their classes.  I learned later several were first-year teachers like my PE teacher, Mrs. Peggy Witherspoon, and Mrs. Sherard. I further developed my sewing craft from Mrs. Knight, and writing from ALL of my English teachers.  I continued in the dance program and chorus having been a part of the ‘operettas’ at Skyland (now Headstart) and Diggs elementary schools.

“The administration at East Winston was Mr. Samuel Cary, Principal from Diggs, Mr. Henry Jones and Mr. James Hollingsworth, Assistants.  There were many assemblies (preparation for a cultured audience), talent shows, dance group recitals, art shows, quarterly band and choir performances and our favorite weekly Friday night school dances in the gym, costing 25 cents per person!

“So young then, our parents didn't speak of matters that would frustrate and overwhelm a child, we didn't know we were in a segregated school system.  No busing, two separate school operations.  We had neighborhood schools. 

“We enjoyed a full schedule of football, basketball and baseball, complete with cheerleaders and concessions.  PTA meetings were heavily attended.  Sadly, I had to go with my parents. 

“One remembrance I will forever hold near was on that bleak, cloudy day - so it seemed - when our President, John F. Kennedy, was killed.  I was in Mrs. Josie Simon's 7th grade Social Studies class.  We were released at 1 p.m., walking quietly and tearfully down that long sidewalk home.  After Christmas break, we returned to a newly named school.  A fitting place to honor him. 

“As I often think about it, much of the energy expressed by the faculty at this wonderful place prepared us for the ‘Senior’ experience of high school – graduating from Atkins Senior High.

“I began my 40-year career in education in 1973, thus coming full circle, completing 30 great years May 1, 2013 at John F. Kennedy High School.

“I believe I will continue in some way to touch the heart of a child.” 






No comments:

Post a Comment