Thursday, March 7, 2019

Little Free Library Comes to Central Office and Education Building


Thanks to high school junior Audrey Patrick, people coming to the school system’s Central Office or Education Building can now stop and visit a Little Free Library. She built and stocked them for her Girl Scout Gold Award Project 2019.

You can learn more about Little Free Libraries at Little Free Library

Here is what Audrey Patrick had to say about the project:

I am in 11th grade at Forsyth Country Day School. I selected this project because reading and writing have been big parts of my life growing up, and build skills that are essential in the communication-saturated world we live in today.

Critical reading skills and a thorough understanding of writing mechanics are essential to success in our society, especially in school, and on benchmarking tests like the SAT and ACT. Children who build the positive habit of reading at least once a week are shown to have higher scores.

Additionally, these skills are frequently used in both personal and professional life through written and verbal communication. Reading and reflective writing also provides entertainment, learning opportunities and can build empathy and cultural awareness.

While anyone can gain significant benefits from reading more frequently, I hope to maximize my impact on the community by especially focusing on children because they have the most to gain. They will start building reading and writing skills earlier, building a strong foundation for their education, and will have an easier time adding new habits. 

Personally, I enjoy reading classic literature and early 20th century literature.

I got the books for my library from book drives in my school community and neighborhood. I asked the donors to try to give books for young children, young adults and adults, although I emphasized that they should really focus on donating books that they enjoy to share with the larger Forsyth County community.

My interest in science and mathematics have led me towards pursuing a career in the medical field, although I truly believe that the cultivation of reading and writing skills will give skills that are valuable in any career area.

Sincerely,
Audrey Patrick






No comments:

Post a Comment