Thursday, February 18, 2016

Lunch Lady with a Passion: Part III



From time to time, Cielo Kramer, who is the food service manager at Cash Elementary School, sends us some of her thoughts. Here is her latest:

My Food Awakening

By Cielo Kramer

(On Food Inspiration)

Coming from a Third World country, from a family of twelve, I grew up with scarcity of food.  I always thought that I needed to eat because I was hungry and that my grumbling stomach needed to be filled so that I could rest or sleep. Usual breakfast was rice porridge flavored with salt. Sugar was a luxury. I never tasted any kind of cake until I was in high school. Eating then was always a necessity and never for enjoyment. Food during my childhood was the greatest thing and meal times were the happiest moments. Not because I enjoyed it but simply because I was filled. I didn’t care what was served or what was the flavor or taste. (Saying this, I now think of the countless street children in Manila and Nairobi, cities I have done missions in.)

Time passed, my family surpassed the challenges, brighter days came!  I was given an opportunity to travel to many countries because of the calling that was placed into my life. (About 20 countries on four continents) My feet brought me to places where food was in abundance! Views and perception on food changed.

My initiation was in South Korea, the first country I ever traveled. Glassy noodles flavored with kimchi, meat prepared in different ways but always have a taste of chili paste or garlic, the whitest rice rolled in seaweed and egg wraps (Korean sushi) and many other dishes glamorized with different sauces and colorful garnishes. I was overwhelmed! Sweet, sour, spicy, my taste palate was greatly challenged.

Then the United Kingdom came into view, nine years of exposure to fish and chips, bangers and mashed green peas, stewed eel, jellied eel, cottage pies, shepherd’s pies,  scones and clotted cream, custards  and unending English teas in the afternoons. Not to forget Cadbury treats and apple crumble with custard. I still miss it to this day!

Three times in the land of the gods and goddesses, Greece offered their kebabs and shawarmas, pastitio, mousaka and baklava. Greek coffee and the sweetest rose delights. I almost decided to stay for good!

A side trip to Switzerland, Gruyere got in to contact with my inner taste on cheese. Their fondues captivated my tongue and I will never forget their creamy and smooth chocolates. 

Tarts, escargots, macaroons, bread heaven are the pride of France. Literally chasing a crepe smuggler, who snatched my crepe along the Champ Elysees was a run I never regret.

Kenya gave me an introduction to their hearty soups and stone ground corn meal, stewed cabbage, fresh unpasteurized milk straight from the cow, teas and variety of fruits.

To top all these, I married a cook and he took me to the land of giant servings and unending buffets! The land of milk and honey to many.  America! Name it and you can have it, ribs, steaks, ham, turkey, chicken, hamburgers, salads, seafood, veggie, fruits…Japanese, Chinese, Mexican, Vietnamese, Puerto Rican, Italian, French… East meets west, North meets South at Uncle Sam’s Table. I felt so lavished by its bounty!

On a different view, now that I am working in the cafeteria, dealing with food every day and serving it to those who needed it most – children, it gives me the utmost pride and opportunity to present food as one of the greatest contributions that creation gives us. My quick rounds to check on students about how they like our food give me pleasure when they gladly utter “You have the best food ever,” “I love the chicken tenders”, “Can you prepare more of the cheesy rice?,” “It tasted so good!”

Last holiday season my staff and I were showered with greeting cards from our students and I was so humbled by how much we touched  their young lives by simply serving food (that we prepared from our hearts.).

I was once a hungry child, I am continually filled, now it’s time to pay it forward.

You will find her first piece at Part 1You will find her second piece at Part 2

3 comments:

  1. dchandle@wsfcs.k12.nc.usFebruary 18, 2016 at 6:50 AM

    She as a heart of gold! Great manager and a great person! We are so blessed to have her as one of many great cafeteria managers! Thank you for loving what you do Cielo!
    Dilly Chandler
    Child Nutrition Office

    ReplyDelete
  2. The teachers at Cash love and appreciate you too, Cielo!! Thank you for all that you do to take care of our children and keep our cafeteria running smoothly. We are grateful to have you, and sorry you don't hear that often enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cielo, you are a wonderful writer and can paint pictures with your words. South Fork was blessed to have you for the time they did. Your love of the students shows through all your actions.

    ReplyDelete