Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Meadowlark Middle Band Director Receives Award of Excellence

Matt Liner conducting
Matt Liner, the band director at Meadowlark Middle School, has received the Award of Excellence from the Northwest District N.C. Bandmasters Association. 

“My initial response to being nominated was pure shock,” Liner said. “Once the vote had been completed and it was announced that I had been selected as the Award of Excellence recipient a wave washed over me that is unlike one that I’ve ever felt - feelings of appreciation and a humbleness and excitement. 

“My thoughts instantly went to those that had instructed and mentored me over my life - to my high school band director from North Forsyth, Joe Alred, who gave so much of himself for the kids that were in his program and who was taken from us way too soon, to my collegiate directors and instructors, and to the folks that still mentor and inspire me today. These colleagues continuously impress me and motivate me to be better at my craft tomorrow than I was today.”

The award was established in 1980 to salute the musical excellence of band directors in the association. To be eligible for nomination, the band director must meet criteria that includes leading a program that provides students with many and varied performance opportunities, including those offered at district and state levels as well as, displaying a consistent record of Superior Ratings at MPA.

The candidate must have also displayed outstanding success in many critical areas of education that may include teaching skills, musicianship, leadership and consistent high level of performance by ensembles.

Each year the Award of Excellence nominees alternate between a middle school and a high school director.  Middle school recipients are invited to conduct the Middle School Concert Band at the All-District Clinic. 

For more information about the association go to Bandmasters Association

No comments:

Post a Comment