Friday, June 28, 2013

East Forsyth Middle Teacher Headed to NASA Space Camp

Corie Maffett


Corie Maffett, a sixth-grade science teacher at East Forsyth Middle School, will attend the NASA Space Camp for Educators at the U.S. Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville, Ala. from July 12 to 18. 

“I have always been interested in space and teaching sixth-grade science gives me an opportunity to tap my ‘inner astronaut,’” Maffett said. “Each year, my students explore the elements of space flight through research, NASA webinars, and hands-on activities.   Their interest in space flight has been contagious and sparked the idea for me to attend the NASA Space Camp for Educators.  

“I am thrilled beyond words to have been award the grant to attend the week long interactive space experience.  I have promised my students that I would take plenty of pictures and bring back exciting information to share about space travel and flight.  The program provides teachers with educational materials that can be shared and taught in their classrooms.”

Benika J. Thompson, the school system’s program manager for science, said, “We are excited and look forward to all the resources and information she will bring back to her colleagues in science as a result of this opportunity.”

Maffett also represented North Carolina in the Duke Energy's Keystone Issues Institute Program last year. Maffett’s trip to Space Camp is being paid for by a grant from the Winston-Salem Foundation (The Sam and Anne Booke Trust). 

For more information about the camp, go to Space Camp

No comments:

Post a Comment