Thursday, June 6, 2013

Athletic Director at Glenn High Retiring after 34 Years

Marty Stanley (photo by Bruce Chapman)

In the Thursday, June 6, issue of the Winston-Salem Journal, reporter Mason Linker writes about Marty Stanley, who is retiring as athletic director at Glenn High School. Here is an excerpt:

Over the last 20 or so years, athletics directors around the area have found themselves in unfamiliar situations.

Often, the question would arise: WWMD?
What Would Marty Do?

Over the last 34 years at Glenn High School, including the last 24 as AD, Stanley has been far more than an answer man for those in need, although he’s been quite good at that.

Stanley has been a case study in hard work, fairness, and doing things the right way. That job will be passed along to someone new starting July 1. Stanley, 56, filed his retirement papers on Monday and will work at Glenn until June 30.

“Honesty and integrity,” said T.R. Richards, the AD at West Forsyth, when asked why so many leaned on Stanley. “You knew with Marty you would get an honest answer and his integrity was beyond reproach. There was never a doubt of gamesmanship or one-upmanship in the least. You knew he was in it for the kids, which is what we are all supposed to be about.

“It’s a big loss for Glenn and the Kernersville community but it’s a huge loss for athletics in the state of North Carolina. He was a big part. It’s big.”

A little more than a week ago, Stanley said he was fully prepared to work another school year. But a long weekend of introspection and talks with his wife, Monika, led him to his decision.

“She told me it was my decision and she would support me in whatever I decided,” Stanley said, pointing out the many sacrifices she made while he worked days that started early and ended too late.

“It was kind of a quick decision. It was in the back of my mind but I just had a hard time getting ready for another year. The demands of the job are a little more than they used to be. It’s a little harder when you get older. The things I do now that I did 15, 20 years ago, it takes a couple of days to get over rather than a couple of hours.

“But I am perfectly content with my decision. I wouldn’t change anything I have done over the 34 years here at Glenn aside from a few decisions here or there. But if I had to do it all over again, I would take the same path.”

For the complete story, go to Winston-Salem Journal

No comments:

Post a Comment