Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Rural Hall Parent Involvement Coordinator Inspires Art Students with Photos from Her Travels

Virginia Wofford
One of the student pictures on display at the Dixie Classic Fair was inspired by a photo that Virginia Wofford, the parental involvement coordinator at Rural Hall Elementary School, showed to students in Henry Moss’ art classes.

“One of his goals is to make students aware of the experiences one can capture through travel,” Wofford said.

Wofford finds that travel helps her appreciate the world we live in.

“The koala photo that I shared with two of Mr. Moss' art classes was taken in New Zealand,” she said. “New Zealand is the only country that will allow people to handle koalas legally. I was holding a koala in the photograph that created many questions from the students. Together we created an art lesson that connected to a country and culture very different from our own.

“My journey took me to Australia and New Zealand this year, June 2014.  My quest to see the beauty of God's creation has taken me literally around the world.  The students were amazed when they actually saw me holding the wild koala in my arms.”

While in Australia, Wofford met an aboriginal priest known as Uncle Max Eulo from the Budyeti Tribe. He had blessed Queen Elizabeth, Prince William of England, Pope Benedict and Pope John Paul II.

“He shared a newspaper article with me of him performing an aboriginal purification smoking ceremony over Prince William of England. I was overwhelmed with joy when he told me that he had opened the World Cup in Paris!

On her journey, she walked among herds of wild kangaroos with joeys (baby kangaroos) in their pouches. When she showed those photos to the students, she said, “their little eyes lit up and their brains starting ticking asking more questions to gain more knowledge!”





No comments:

Post a Comment