Monday, October 6, 2014

Paisley IB Student Creates Program to Decrease Bullying Among Girls


In the Oct. 2 issue of The Chronicle, reporter Chanel Davis writes about Madison Sides, a student at Paisley IB Magnet School who has created MasterPeace, a program designed to build confidence and decrease bullying among girls.
Here is an excerpt:
Madison Sides, 12, said she started the program after butting heads with a classmate. The seventh-grader said that she felt misunderstood and was frustrated with the lack of communication between her and the other girl.
“I was going through some things in my life, and I wanted to go to Bible study, thinking maybe that could help me. I couldn’t find one for my age-range,” Madison said. “My mom was like why don’t you create one.”

Madison’s mother, Karen Bonner, said the program sprung from the growing pains her daughter experienced as she went from elementary to middle school.
“I think Madison and I were trying to figure out where we belonged in it all,” Bonner said. “She was trying to figure it out in a social aspect, and I was trying to figure out who this child was because she was totally different. I saw more episodes of anger and more episodes of her just acting out when she was really crying out that no one was listening.”

Madison defused the tensions between her and the other student by simply inviting the girl to sit down and talk. They are now friends.
For the full story, go to The Chronicle

No comments:

Post a Comment