Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Spotlight on Media Assistant at Griffith, Cook and Kimberley Park Elementary Schools

Cyndi Pigg
Each month the Classified Advisory Council puts the Spotlight on a classified employee. For December, the spotlight is on Cyndi Pigg, who works as the Media Assistant in three Elementary schools – Griffith, Cook and Kimberley Park. 

“I also serve as Griffith Elementary’s Webmaster. This is my fifth year as a Media Assistant. Before my employment with the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County school system, I worked in IT as a Computer Programmer for Wachovia Bank and owned my own Web Design business.

“Both of my parents were school teachers in Greensboro. When I was growing up, I enjoyed helping them with things like putting up bulletin boards and grading papers.  Also, my parents have always been avid readers.  Newspapers, books, and stacks of magazines are still in abundance on the tables in their house.  I can still remember them reading to me as a child, and lying around reading with them, when I was older.  I credit my parents for my love of books and reading and my ease and familiarity with the public school system.   

“After my sons were born, I took some time off of work to become a full-time stay-at-home mom. Then, when they were older, I began volunteering in various roles at Sedge Garden Elementary, where both of my sons attended school. One of those roles was to shelve books and help with circulation in the Media Center, which I thoroughly enjoyed.  Jan Hagborg, the (now retired) Media Coordinator recognized a good fit and encouraged me to apply for a position as a Media Assistant.  I’m very thankful that she did – This has been the most satisfying job that I have ever had. What could be more rewarding than working in a place that helps a child develop a love of reading!

In my spare time, I enjoy reading (of course), playing in the hand-bell choir at church, needlecrafts, walking, hiking, and geocaching, a world-wide treasure hunt played by using a handheld GPS unit.”

You will find the Classified Advisory Council page at Classifed Advisory Council

No comments:

Post a Comment