Monday, December 10, 2012

Hanes Student Speaks at Exceptional Children Conference.

Sam Dempsey introduces Asha Gandhi
Asha Gandhi is a girl with an extraordinary brain. She is also a girl with limited vision and hearing. Her exemplary approach to dealing with the challenges she faces prompted the N.C. Council for Exceptional Children to give her its Yes I Can! Award earlier this year.

At the time, Asha was a fifth-grader in the highly academically gifted program at Brunson Elementary School. She is now a sixth-grader at Hanes Magnet School, and, in November, she spoke at the council’s annual conference. When asked how she felt about speaking at the conference she said, "I felt like I was making a difference by changing the thoughts of teachers about the deaf-blind."

Asha’s parents are Sanjay and Lauren Gandhi. “Sanjay and I were excited that Asha had this opportunity and were pleased that she was willing to address a group, especially one this size, about what is often a personal topic for her,” said Lauren Gandhi. “Opportunities like this help her learn to be a better self-advocate, and hopefully an advocate for others with challenges as well.”

In her speech, Asha talked about the particulars of her disabilities and some of the ways in which she uses equipment to help her. She talked about Ashley Bristow, the teacher assistant in the exceptional children’s program who works with her. “Without her I probably would not even be here right now,” Asha said. And she talked about all the others who also help. “I have had countless people help me and get me to where I am today.”

She went on to say: “But still being deaf/blind is a challenge.  Sometimes it is very hard for me to understand what people are saying and I do not hear an important comment.  I may miss out on something cool that is being shown to the others.  This makes me feel a bit lonely and left out. So I may respond inappropriately because I may not have heard what you said correctly.  That can cause a huge social difference sometimes.

“Deaf/blindness makes everyday a challenge. But I have risen above it successfully.  Even though it is a challenge, I live my life much the same as you do.  I live my life thinking about my abilities not my disabilities. But even though I am proud of who I am, the problems that come with it are stressful. But thanks to God and the lasting support of friends, family, and school, I have overcome deaf/blindness and am fulfilling my potential.”

After she finished her prepared remarks, she said, "One last word.  I do not need to be shown pity or sympathy--only commitment, praise, and positive encouragement.  If you do show pity or sympathy on me--fine--but, I will do something!" 

You will find the story we wrote about her after she won her award at Asha Gandhi

 

No comments:

Post a Comment