Monday, August 27, 2012

Director of Transportation Rides Jet-Powered School Bus

On Friday Aug. 24, Rhonda Fleming, the Director of Transportation for the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County school system's rode on a jet-powered school bus.

The School Time Jet-Powered Bus, as it is called, was in town as part of the Winston-Salem Air Show. The ride took place at Smith Reynolds Airport.

 
A group based in Indianapolis called Indy Boys Inc. retrofitted an engine from a Phantom fighter jet onto a school bus. Capable of speeds of 370 mph, it is more like an aircraft. The bus is complete with a 42,000 horsepower engine (regular school bus has 210 horsepower) and burns 150 gallons of fuel in a quarter mile.

It was quite an adventure.

“The bus reached a speed of 270 mph and I was terrified,” Fleming said. “I had to wear a fire-retardant suit that was very hot, shoes, helmet and gloves.  I had a 5-point harness strapping me into a metal seat. It is simply against everything in my inner being for a bus to travel that fast.  I am not entirely certain what I expected but I now have a deeper understanding and appreciation of G-force. Most roller coasters have a G-force of 4.5-5G.  Most roller coaster travel 82-100 mph.  This is more like a top fuel-dragster and I now have a deeper appreciation for that sport.

“Once is enough but if it helps to remind the public to watch out for our school buses - it was worth it.” 


No comments:

Post a Comment