Monday, February 25, 2019

Meadowlark Middle Art Teacher to Study at Penland School of Crafts

Thanks to a scholarship honoring Tony Swider, Elizabeth Miller, who teaches art at Meadowlark Middle, will be studying at the Penland School of Crafts this summer.

On Tuesday, Brad Oliver, the school system’s Director of Arts Education & Summer Enrichment Programs, and Penny Freeland, the school system’s lead teacher for visual arts, dropped by Meadowlark Middle with a representative of The Winston-Salem Foundation to recognize Miller.

“I love mixed-media art, and I am looking forward to dedicating uninterrupted time to creating my own art this summer at Penland,” Miller said. “Life gets noisy, and I am excited to refocus, slow down, and make art!”

“The workshop options at Penland are extensive. The printmaking studio looks inspiring, and it would be neat to learn how to use a letterpress.” 

“Creating art both relaxes me and helps me to better connect with the world around me. To me, the process of creating art is often as important as the end result.” 

“Students are stressed and do not choose to slow down and learn a craft. When students are able to enjoy the process and connect personally with their art, it is a beautiful experience.” 

“This award came on an ‘Overall Good Tuesday,’ which is my favorite day of the week. My students often join me in wearing overalls on Tuesday and making a choice to have a great day!”

During his 40 years with Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools, Swider served as both an art teacher and as an arts administrator. Arts supporters and educators established The Tony Swider Art Education Scholarship Fund to promote artistic growth.

The Tony Swider scholarship is overseen by the Winston-Salem Foundation. Each year, the foundation notifies the school system’s arts educator of the amount available. Those wanting to receive the scholarship apply, and a committee of arts professionals and educators recommend a recipient to the foundation.




No comments:

Post a Comment