Friday, September 30, 2016

Arts Council Gives Diggs-Latham Art Teacher Its Arts Educator Excellence Award


At its annual meeting on Sept. 26, the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Arts Council recognized Amanda Gordon, who teaches art at Diggs-Latham Elementary Schools, with its second annual Arts Educator Excellence Award.

According to the arts council, "The Arts Educator Excellence Award recognizes an educator or teaching artist who has enriched the education of our community’s youth and inspired the next generation of artists, patrons and creative individuals."  

“I received a certificate and an original, hand-made glass ‘trophy’ created by a local artist,” Gordon said. “I was recognized for leadership in my school and community and making the difference in the lives of my students and colleagues.” 

In addition to her day-to-day responsibilities at Diggs-Latham, Gordon has taken on the leadership responsibilities for several school committees and events and has written and received numerous grants. In nominating her, the principal and assistant principal at Diggs-Latham noted that Gordon goes above and beyond in all that she does.

In her acceptance speech, Gordon said:

“I was honored to be nominated and very humbled to receive the award. So many teachers and art instructors work hard every day and also deserve the award. 

“I have a heart of service as I was influenced by many wonderful mentors over the years and am now taking the opportunity to give back. I grew up in a rural area but was fortunate enough to be valedictorian of my graduating high school class and be the first generation of my immediate family to go on to attend college.”  

She thanked all of her many mentors, supporters, family and friends for all their support and, most importantly, God “for faith that guides all I do in my career and personal life.” 

Gordon has have been teaching for 13 years in Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools. She earned a bachelor of fine arts degree – with High Honors (Magna Cum Laude) – from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.

The award was announced in Reynolds Place of the Milton Rhodes Center for the Arts in downtown Winston-Salem. 




No comments:

Post a Comment