Thursday, March 19, 2015

Finding a Way to Say 'Thanks' to a Teacher Almost 30 Years Later

Alex Richardson and Chuck Taylor
Chuck Taylor is now 39. When he was in the fifth grade at Hall-Woodward Elementary School during the 1985-86 school year, his teacher was Alex Richardson.

“Every time I chose to speak out of turn and disrupt the class, he made me copy pages from the collegiate dictionary,” Taylor said. “I don't remember how far I got, but I do remember some ‘i’ words. I obviously talked a lot.”

“Idiom” and “idiosyncratic” are two that come to mind.

“As frustrating as it was at the time, this instilled a fond appreciation for the English language for me,” he said.

Taylor also appreciated the way that Richardson treated him. “He never criticized me. He never looked down on me. But he always expected me to do more than I thought I could.”

“And I have never taken the time to express my thanks for this,” Taylor said.

Until now. 

Richardson went on to become a science coach for elementary schools. About a year ago, Richardson retired after 40 years with Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools.

Taylor grew up to become a minister and a marriage counselor. When he wrote a book called The Connection Principle: 3 Essential Communication Tools for Getting What You Want From Your Marriage, Taylor decided to thank Richardson on the dedication page.  

On Wednesday, he met Richardson in the lobby of the school system’s Administration Building, gave him a hug and handed him a copy.


No comments:

Post a Comment