Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Cash 4th-grader writes top letter in North Carolina in Letters about Literature contest

Anaiya Rice, a fourth-grader at Cash Elementary, was recently selected as the state winner in the Library of Congress’ Letters about Literature contest.

In the contest, students were asked to write a letter to an author and explain how the books changed their view of the world or themselves. Anaiya, a student in Cindy Eubanks’ class, wrote to Dorothy and Thomas Hoobler, the authors of Florence Robinson: the Store of a Jazz Age Girl. Anaiya told the Hooblers that the book made her think more about segregation and how unfairly African Americans have been treated.

Anaiya will now compete with the state winners in fourth through sixth grades to be the national winner. 

Dear Dorothy and Thomas Hoobler,
            My life couldn’t be any more different than yours or your characters in Florence Robinson: the Story of A Jazz Age Girl. Your book as made me think more about the history of segregation. It has also made me realize the world around me and how unfairly African Americans were treated at one time, and that racism is still here today. This book has made me interested in African American history and learning more about my ancestry.
            I just can’t imagine being called a Negro, being a slave, or not getting treated fairly just because of my skin color. Sometimes I want to cry when I think about it. I now understand why my dad wants me to learn about African American history. In school, we have not learned about African Americans much. However, because of you, I have decided to research some inspirational African Americans that have impacted the world.
            Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like today if African Americans were treated like they were in the past. Would I ever be happy or looking forward to the next day? Your book has made me think of this and made me not take every day for granted, and to be thankful for what I have.
            After finishing your book, I looked back and thought to myself about the challenging parts in it and how some African Americans really did have to go through things like that. When I was little, I didn’t understand what people meant by racism, slavery, or segregation, but after reading and comprehending your book, I can feel a level of maturity in myself.
            I remember finding your book and thinking this is the book for me. It’s amazing what is in this world, but at the end of the day segregation, slavery, and racism don’t matter. From reading this book I have a better understanding on not just African Americans, but on the world. No matter what you look like we are all human. This book has been truly a miracle.

Sincerely,
Anaiya Rice


No comments:

Post a Comment