Thursday, March 13, 2014

Flat Rock Middle Art Teachers Wins Tony Swider Scholarship to Penland School of Crafts

Brad Oliver congratulates Dudley Smith (right)
Dudley Smith, who teaches art at Flat Rock Middle School, is the recipient of this year's Tony Swider Scholarship to Penland School of Crafts.

“I was very honored to receive this award,” Smith said. “This opportunity to work at Penland will give me a chance to experience new things, not only for me but also to bring and use some of these experiences in class.”

Smith earned a bachelor of fine arts in pottery and ceramic sculpture at Western Carolina University.

“During this time I also got to work in glass, photography, jewelry/metals, sculpture and painting,” Smith said. "I continued my education in art by receiving my master’s in painting.”

His art work has shown many places. His paintings have been shown at Smithsonian in Washington.

“My low-fired sculptures and pottery have shown in the South and my photography has shown on the East Coast and also Europe,” he said. “I decided to share my knowledge of art with kids. So I went to Greensboro College and got my teaching certificate. It has been very rewarding to be able to work with young people and help develop their talents in art.”

The scholarship is given each year in honor of Tony Swider, who “encouraged and energized hundreds of art teachers during his 40-year tenure as an art educator and administrator. He was an educational visionary and an inspired teacher.  A small group of arts supporters and educators established this fund to promote artistic growth and rejuvenate classroom teaching.”

For more information about the scholarship, go to Tony Swider Scholarship





No comments:

Post a Comment