Monday, February 18, 2013

Former Career Center Student Headed to International Competition in Germany

Stephanie Messer and Sarah Parker

Sarah Parker, who attended the Career Center and graduated from Reagan High School in 2010, will represent the United States in Leipzig, Germany in the Graphic Design competition during the biennial WorldSkills Competition.

Parker credits Stephanie Messer - her commercial art teacher at the Career Center with helping to expand on what was previously a hobby. “After completing Commercial Art I & II,” said Parker, “I knew that this was the career I wanted to pursue.”

Parker, who is now a student at Appalachian State University, will compete as a member of the United States “WorldTeam.” The 42nd international event will be held July 2-7, 2013.

Parker won the right to compete by winning the high school gold medal in Advertising Design during the SkillsUSA Championships in June 2010, and she also successfully completed other qualifying prerequisites prior to being chosen for the team.

Sarah Parker
When asked about how she became involved in the field, Parker said, “I was always a huge fan of graphic design, but it wasn’t until I took my first Commercial Art class in high school that I really found my love for designing and creating advertisements.”

When asked how she thinks Parker will do when she competes internationally, Messer said, “Every now and then, a teacher is lucky enough to have a student who teaches back. Sarah is such a student. Within her first weeks in my Commercial Art class, I could tell she ‘had it.’ You know – those things that you just can’t teach - creativity, attention to detail, clear vision, independent thinking, and pure and natural talent. 

"Sarah’s rush for the arts and graphic design was evident and contagious - not only to the other students, but to me as well! She emerged as a strong leader in class, a source for inspiration and ideas, and embodied a solid work ethic and can-do attitude. Her love for and skills in graphic design were evident every single day – she was pure joy to have as a student. Sarah has always shown true grace under pressure using fantastic time management skills. I know she will rise to any challenge she finds, and I will proudly watch her soar, wherever she goes.”

For more information, go to SkillsUSA



 

No comments:

Post a Comment