Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Carver Student Works with Systems Manager at Wake Forest School of Medicine

Stephen Thon is a senior at Carver High. There, he plays three varsity sports and participates in the school’s IT Academy.

This summer, Thon served at an intern with the Winston-Salem Chamber of Commerce.

Josh Tan, who is a Systems Manager for the Wake Forest School of Medicine, is a volunteer on the Chamber’s Tech Council. When Jill Atherton, the vice President for Economic and Community Development, asked if anyone would meet with Steven to talk about IT, Tan volunteered.

He and Thon worked together.

“Steven has visited with different companies, universities, and medical centers this summer,” Tan said. “When he visited with me at Wake Forest Baptist Radiology, we had a great time talking about what I do and my background and also about his IT academy experiences and future goals.”

“I have given presentations in the past to Atkins a few times about 3D Medical Imaging, 3D Modeling, and 3D printing. I’m also involved in giving summer presentations to NWAHEC (Northwest Area Health Education Center) so I have seen several WS/FC schools come through over the past 15 years or so.”

“I actually grew up in Winston-Salem, going to Brunson, Wiley, Cook Middle (at the time), and Mount Tabor so I have a soft spot for the WS/FC schools.”




No comments:

Post a Comment